The historical importance of this museum derives as much from its building as its exhibits. The Alfâmdega building dates from 1860, and was the customs house for Oporto, situated alongside the River Douro. It became redundant when most harbour activity moved to Leixōes between 1884 and 1892. Exhibitions show how import and export duties were collected in Portugal. Most of the exhibits relating to transport are motor cars, including the first car used in Portugal, imported from Paris in 1895, and several vehicles used by Portuguese presidents.