In the second half of the 19th century, the Carpathian foothills of Galicia developed into the third largest petroleum region in the world. Several centuries earlier, manually dug pits had already been laid out to collect the seeping so-called rock oil. The oil, which was skimmed off with buckets, was used mainly as a lubricant and medicine. The demand for oil increased dramatically with the invention of the paraffin lamp. More than 4,000 shafts were dug in the area around Borysƚaw alone, 70 km southwest of Lviv (Lviv) in what is now Ukraine. Industrial production began around 1865, when deep drilling technology was used to reach depths of up to 1,500 m and the oil was pumped out. The city experienced a rapid boom, which continued until the First World War, when the production facilities were severely damaged. Oil is still being produced in the city today, but the maximum quantities at the beginning of the 20th century are nowhere near as high as they were at that time.
The Oil and Gas Industry Museum keeps alive the memory of the heyday of oil production. Various models are used to illustrate the process of oil production. On display are production instruments and industrial equipment as well as examples of products and raw materials, household items, a paraffin primus stove and collections of paraffin and oil lamps and medals and emblems associated with the gas and oil industry.