At the beginning of the 20th century, the Berlin Schultheiss brewery was one of the largest beer producers in Germany. As production increased, so did the demand for malt. The construction of a new malthouse was decided and completed in 1917. The largest malting plant in Europe at the time remained in operation until 1996.
Initially, production was carried out mainly by hand until part of the operation was electrified in the 1950s. Since 2005, cultural and creative industries have been developing on the Berlin-Schöneberg site. Portions of the listed industrial area were restored and transformed into production facilities, offices and event locations. The buildings of the malthouse and the partially preserved equipment can be explored on guided tours.