The Labin National Museum was founded in 1960 and works within the Labin Public Open University. The museum is located in the old town’s heart in the Baroque palace of the Battiala-Lazzarini family. It provides an overview of Labin’s history with a selection of the most important events presented in chronological order, with an elaboration of thematic parts and interactive points. The permanent display consists of a lapidarium (collection of stone monuments) with mostly Roman pieces, a chronological overview of the history of the town and its most significant events, it also provides a representation of the miner’s strike of 1921 known under the title of ‘Labinska republika’ (the ‘Labin Republic’) and an overview of recent history. The museum also consists of an ethnographic display and a special part dedicated to the Istrian teacher and revolutionary Giuseppina Martinuzzi.
The permanent display about mining which reflects upon the almost 400 years of Labin’s mining history is a special attraction. It was set up on the ground-floor and cellar part of the museum’s building, between 1961 and 1964, with the direct support from the Istrian coal mines of Raša. The miniature mine has a length of about 150 meters.
The museum is part of the INSPIRACIJA (INSPIRATION) project, whos main goal is to encourage revitalisation of towns rich of industrial heritage in Slovenia and Croatia – Trbovlje, Slovenska Bistrica, Labin and Rijeka – by creating new tourist content to reanimate once active industrial facilities.
|Recommended duration of visit:||1 Hours|
|Duration of a guided Tour:||1 Minutes|
|Access for persons with disabilities:||Available|
|Infrastructure for Children:|
|Visitor centre on site:||yes|
|Gift and book shop on Site:||yes|
March to June, September to October:
Monday - Saturday 10am-2pm
June to August:
daily 10am-1pm and 5-10pm
November to February
by appointment 8am-2pm