Ignacy historic mine was established in 1792 as Hoym mine. In 1936 the name was changed into Ignacy, in honour of the Polish President Ignacy Mościcki. After coal mining ceased, the colliery has been open to visitors since 1999.
Nowadays it combines the functions of a museum in a modern way with the organization of cultural events. The most valuable monuments are two steam-powered winding machines. They are an example of the industrial advancements of the time and a perfectly preserved heritage of the mining past of Rybnik. Another attraction of the mine is the former water tower, which now has turned into a viewing point, offering a panoramic view of the city. Currently other buildings are being revitalized, which will include a new exhibition and a science center. The main theme of the exhibition will be the industrial revolution and the use of steam. It is planned to put in operation a historic steam hoisting machine from 1920.
|Recommended duration of visit:||1,5 Hours|
|Duration of a guided Tour:||60 Minutes|
|Access for persons with disabilities:||For details see website|
|Infrastructure for Children:|
|Visitor centre on site:||yes|
|Gift and book shop on Site:||yes|