The Gödöllő railway waiting room was built as a free-standing building for the exclusive use of the royal family. The public station’s waiting room was deemed too small and undignified. It was a Coronation gift in 1867 from the Hungarian State to Emperor Franz Joseph and Empress Elizabeth. A temporary Tyrolean-style wooden pavilion was constructed for them. In 1882, this was replaced by the present Royal Waiting Room, built in Neo-Renaissance style with a porte cochère on ionic columns and a dome. The one-storey building was the same height as the public railway station. The royal couple had separate rooms connected by the ‘princely waiting room’.
Towards the end of the Second World War, the Waiting Room was burnt down. In 2011, it was reconstructed based on the 1882 plans. Statutes of the royal couple and historical photographs decorate the building. It is now a museum and an event hall for weddings, concerts and conferences.