Glasebach Mining Museum

The Glasebach mine in Harzgerode, a town in the eastern part of the Harz mountains, was first mentioned in a document in 1689. With interruptions, it was used for more than 300 years for ore mining, and fluorspar was mined in the last decades until it was shut down in 1982. After that the mine was kept open until 1990 as a ventilation and material shaft for the fluorspar mine Fluorschacht.

The mining museum opened five years later and shows underground the historical mining from the 17th to 19th century and in the above-ground museum the original and functional preserved facilities of modern mining from the GDR era. The guided tours start in the above-ground bike room with the reconstructed 9.5 m large artificial wheel. Underground, the tour continues with the development and mining techniques as well as the inclined shaft with its still partly preserved historical water lifting technology, accompanied by the colourful variety of different mineralisations which are well worth seeing. The most important buildings, machinery and equipment in the above-ground museum area are the old smithy, the lamp room, the winding engine house, the ship's diesel engine and the pithead frame, which was erected in 1976.

Glasebach Mining Museum
Glasebacher Weg
06493 Harzgerode
+49 (0) 3944 - 9541060