Eperon d'Or

Eperon d’Or (the ‘golden spur’) is a museum in a factory of fine-quality shoes in the traditional centre of Belgian shoemaking. The company was started by Emiel Vandommele in 1863. It became the official supplier of the Belgian court from 1927 and the Luxembourg court from 1933. The present factory was built in 1910 and an office in Art Deco style was added in 1930 by the architect Charles Laloo.

The museum displays the whole production line of shoemaking in the 1950s, a large collection of beautiful shoes, the stories of the workers and a hall of fame of local people. It also tells the story of another local industry, making hairbrushes and fine brushes for other purposes.

Close by are the preserved steam engines of the town’s electricity generating station, opened in 1901, now the Stoom en Stroom (Steam and Electricity) museum.

Eperon d'Or
Prins Albertlaan 5
8870 Izegem
+32 (0) 51 - 316446