Brewhouse, warehouse, cooper’s workshop, horse stables, canteen and children’s home: the preserved complex of the historic Schultheiss Brewery clearly illustrates how a company that once ranked among the largest breweries in Europe was organized around 1900. The renovated industrial monument consists of more than 20 buildings spread over six inner courtyards and covering 25,000 square meters. With its variety of creative service providers and the broad cultural program the KulturBrauerei attracts locals as well as tourists.
In the 19th century Berlin became renowned for its breweries – in 1900 there were roughly 120 of them in and around the city. The industrial beer production required large cellars for fermentation and storage. The slightly elevated areas in the northeastern parts of Berlin met this need best and became sort of a hot spot for breweries. It was here that, beginning in 1878, a small brewing company with a pub became the state-of-the-art Schultheiss plant, based on the plans of the architect Franz Heinrich Schwechten. Richard Roesicke, the owner of the brewery, proved to be a smart and successful entrepreneur characterized by a progressive social commitment. His workers and employees were offered a variety of corporate social benefits including retirement funds, workshops for disabled people, child care facilities and canteens. The plant was nationalized in 1949 under the GDR regime and continued to brew beer until 1967. More information is provided by the tourist information in the former brewhouse. It is also possible to rent bikes there.
|Recommended duration of visit:||1 Hours|
|Duration of a guided tour:||60 Minutes|
|Access for persons with disabilities:||For details see website|
|Visitor centre on site:||yes|
|Gift and book shop on site:||yes|
The area is freely accessible
Guided tours: every first Saturday per month 4.15pm and on registration