Ideas for a museum in Hanover illustrating the history of energy were first discussed in 1979 at the time of the 50th jubilee of the Hannover-Braunschweigischen Stromversorgungs AG power company. The museum opened in its present premises in Humboldtstrasse in 1987. It has exhibits that relate to the history of energy over the past 150 years, and has a particularly interesting collection of electrically-powered machines and appliances. They include an car and a porcelain smoothing iron of the 1920s, an AEG mercury steam rectifier of 1928, and a juke box of the 1960s. Other displays relate to electricity and energy networks, historic household appliances, radios, medical technology and telecommunications systems. The museum organises a series of varied temporary exhibitions.