The Arenberg Fosse is a coal mine in Nord-Pas-de-Calais which belonged to the Compagnie des Mines d’Anzin. It was sunk in 1900, began production in 1903 and proved a highly productive colliery. It was named after Auguste d’Arenberg (1837-1924), politician and manager of Compagnie des Mines d’Anzin. The pit was nationalised in 1946, was modernised with a new double shaft between 1954 and 1961, and retains two lofty steel lattice headstocks. It was first recognised as having historical importance in 1992, was officially declared an historical monument from 2009, and was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2012. The surface buildings have been adapted for cultural projects including for exhibitions, conventions, films and theatrical performances. The rooms include La sale des Mineurs, Les salles des Chercheurs, La salle de Leaud, which is particularly well equipped with projection equipment for multi-media presentations, and L’espace Berri which occupies the area of the pithead baths where miners hung their clothes while they worked underground.