The Austrian Society for Railway History (ÖGEG) was started in 1974. In 1996, it took over the branch railway for the WTK coal mine at Ampflwang to create a museum. The entrance was the miners’ baths and the five-story main building was the coal preparation plant. Inside are displays about railways and mining with many working models. Outside, twenty-one engine sheds were built in 2006 around a locomotive turntable moved here from the Deutsche Bahn depot at Rosenheim in Bavaria. Over 100 standard-gauge rail vehicles are displayed, including steam, diesel and electric locomotives, wagons and carriages. The steam vehicles include ‘Anna’, built in 1908 and used at the Breitenschützing coal mine. Many engines come from the Austrian national railway (ÖBB). For children there is an adventure playground on the theme of mining and railways. Trains are run on the 10.5-km track to and from Timelkam.
The Society also has a narrow-gauge railway museum on the Steyr Valley Railway (Steyrtalbahn) and operates the 1912 paddle steamer Schönbrunn on the Danube.