Warrington Transporter Bridge

The transporter bridge across the River Mersey at Warrington, built in 1915-16, connected two parts of the chemical and soap plant of Joseph Crosfield & Sons, and was the second to be built by the company. The first, completed in 1905, was demolished in the early 1960s. The remaining bridge has a 61m span across the river and an overall length of 103 m, and is of steel construction. It was designed by William Henry Hunter (1849-1917), chief engineer to the Manchester Ship Canal, and erected by Sir William Arrol & Co. It originally carried railway wagons, and some railway tracks remain on its approaches, but it was adapted to take road vehicles from 1940.

It has not been used since mid 1960th, and is now the property of Warrington Borough Corporation. A voluntary organisation, The Friends of the Warrington Transporter Bridge, was formed in 2016 to advocate the restoration and preservation of the bridge.

It is difficult to gain access to the bridge, but the website of the Friends organisation provides detailed guidance on reaching the best points from which to view it.

The bridge is one of three transporter bridges in the United Kingdom. The others, at Middlesbrough and Newport (South Wales) are both on ERIH website.

Warrington Transporter Bridge
WA1 1NA Warrington
United Kingdom
Homepage