Strathisla Distillery

The Strathisla Distillery comprises one of the most elegant groups of buildings in the Scotch whisky industry. The distillery is the oldest in the Speyside region, having been founded in 1786 by Alexander Milne and George Taylor. It has been known by several different names and was called the Milton or Milltown Distillery until 1950 when it was bought by the Chivas brothers who settled on the name Strathisla.


The earliest of the present range of buildings, including one of the first pairs of pagoda-roofed malt kilns in Scotland, date from the 1880s, and were erected after a fire destroyed most of the previous structures. The principal elements of the present distillery are a copper mash tun holding five tons, ten washbacks of Oregon pine and four copper stills. Warehouses and the bottling plant are located elsewhere.


The whisky is sold as a single malt and is an important component of the blended whisky Chivas Regal. Chivas Brothers have their headquarters and research department on the site.


There is a visitor centre from which visitors are taken on guided tours of the distillery and an old mash room has been adapted as a Dram Room where the whisky made at Strathisla can be enjoyed.

Strathisla Distillery
Seafield Avenue
AB55 5BS Keith
United Kingdom
+44 (0) 1542 - 783044