The cotton-spinning complex at Stanley on the River Tay, 9 km N Perth, was established in 1786, and Bell Mill, the first of three to be built on the site, is the least altered of the mills built by Richard Arkwright, a 5-storey structure, built in brick with a cupola. The other principal buildings, East Mill and Mid Mill date from c. 1800. When the enterprise was at its peak in the late 19th century it employed about 800 people, many of whom lived in the nearby early 19th-century workers’ village. The mills closed in 1989, and have been in the care of Historic Scotland since 1995. The two older mills have been adapted as apartments by the Phoenix Church, while visitors are able to tour Bell Mill where there is a display illustrating industrial history.