Ryhope Engines Museum

The pumping station at Ryhope was built in 1868 by the Sunderland & South Shields Water Co, and contains two original double-acting compound 100 hp R & W Hawthorn beam engines, and three Lancashire boilers installed in 1908. The station, like many of its kind, is magnificently landscaped, amongst lawns, flowerbeds and trees. The engines worked until 1967 and visitor facilities are now managed by a voluntary trust.

Ryhope Engines Museum
Waterworks Road
United Kingdom
+44 (0) 191 - 5210235