The supply of water to the capital of Latvia has a long and interesting history. A canal was constructed to convey water from Lake Jugla in the 16th century, and in 1663 a supply system using wooden pipes was installed in the old part of the city. The first steam pumping station was built in 1863. The museum, at Adazi, 18 km N of Riga, is located in a ground water pumping station of 1904, which has twin horizontal steam engines. Its collection comprehensively illustrates all aspects of the history of water supply to Riga.