Regional History Museum

The city of Donetsk owes its existence to the building of an ironworks in 1870 by John Hughes, a Welshman. It grew rapidly, exploiting the rich mineral resources of the Don basin, and was originally named Yuzovka after Hughes. In 1924 it was named Stalin (later Stalino) after the dictator of the USSR, and was re-named Donetsk in 1961. It was severely damaged during the Second World War. A monument to Hughes stands at the centre of the Technical University, and his house, begun in 1873 and completed in 1891 is preserved as a monument. The Regional History Museum was established in 1924 and was originally concerned with the development of mining and the iron and steel industry. It later developed programmes of archaeological research, and its galleries now reflect many aspects of the city’s history, although they continue to illustrate the origins of heavy industry in the region in the late 19th century.

Regional History Museum
189a, ulitsa Chelyuskintsev
+380 (0) 62 - 3110757