Railway Museum at Colonna station

Colonna station in the community of San Cesarea is on the 950 mm. gauge line from Rome to Fiuggi that was opened in 1916-17, closed by Allied bombing during the Second World War, re-opened in 1945, and closed to regular traffic in 1982-83, apart from the section nearest Rome that is being incorporated into the city’s standard gauge commuter network.

A voluntary group was formed in 2006 to set up a railway museum in the former station that had stood derelict for more than 20 years, and were given access to all the buildings formerly used for passengers and freight The group proved both popular and successful and two years later a trust was constituted that was able to take formal charge of the property. The museum is now open for several days each week, and has been widely commended for the welcome it gives to visitors. Its collection includes No 434, an electric locomotive of 1921, a steam railcar from the line between Fermo and Amandola, and electric multiple units of 1949 and 1953. There are also large numbers of passenger carriages and freight wagons. Visitors are able to enjoy rides on some of the trains on a 500 m. length of track.

Railway Museum at Colonna station
LA Ferrovia - Museo della Stazione di Colonna
Via Casilina 17
00030 San Cesareo
+39 (0) 694 - 39290