Podbrdo railway station

The Podbrdo Railway was part of the route built by the government of Austria-Hungary to link Klagenfurt and Villach in present-day Austria with the port of Trieste on the Adriatic, and is now the Jesenice –Nova Grica route of Slovenian Railways. It was opened in 1906 and is an outstanding feat of railway engineering, including  32 tunnels through the Julian Alps, the longest the 6339 m Podbrdo (or Bohinj) Tunnel beneath Mount Kobla. After the First World War the community of Podbrdo became part of Italy, known as Piedcolle, and the station became an international crossing point. Its buildings were extended and more sidings were built to enable locomotives to be changed. After the Second World War the area became part of Yugoslavia, and it is now in the municipality of Tolmin in Slovenia. The line is not electrified and is no longer used by long-distance international trains, but local services worked by diesel railcars are still operated, and car shuttle trains (Autovlak) enabling motorists to avoid tortuous mountain roads go through the tunnel from Bohinjska, 6 services a day terminating at Podbrdo and 3 going further to Most na Soci. From time to time steam trains for railway enthusiasts travel over the line.

Podbrdo railway station
Zelezniška postaja Podbrdo
Stazione di Pediedicolle
5243 Tolmin