Papplewick Pumping Station

Papplewick is one of the most ornate of the ‘palaces of public health’ built in the second half of the 19th century that celebrated the supply of clean water and the creation of adequate draining systems in English cities. The pumping station supplied drinking water to Nottingham from 1884 until 1969, and comprises two 140 hp beam engines, supplied by James Watt & Co., which are set amidst stained glass and decorative tiles. Several other steam engines removed from their original locations in the region are displayed on the site.

Papplewick Pumping Station
Papplewick Engines Trust
Longdale Lane Ravenhead
NG15 9AJ Nottingham
United Kingdom
+44 (0) 115 - 9632938