Open Air Museum of Mining

Banska Stiavnica – a world heritage site - was from the 13th century one of Europe’s most important sources of silver, lead and iron ore, and the town retains many buildings that provide of its prosperous past, including two castles, magnificent Renaissance houses and the Kammerhof, where ores were assayed. The open-air museum of mining, opened in 1974, displays many surface structures from old mines, and includes a 1300 m circuit of underground workings. A 16th century merchant’s house in the town accommodates geological and mineralogical collections, while displays in the castle, Stare Hrad, include historic paintings of the town and an exhibition on the history of metallurgy.

Open Air Museum of Mining
Banské múzeum v prírode – Skanzen
J.K Hella 12
969 00 Banska Stiavnica
+42 (0) 145 - 6912971