The Museum of Municipal Engineering in Krakow was established in 1998 in a tram depot, built in 1882 and successively enlarged in 1896, 1900, 1913-4 and 1926-9. It is primarily a museum of public transport displaying horse-drawn and electric trams, and a collection of motor buses.
The buildings are themselves important exhibits and include not only the original depot of 1882 for horse trams, but the generating station that supplied power for Krakow’s tramways, and the garage that housed the city’s motor buses. Displays illustrate the operation of various other public utilities as well as broader aspects of the history of technology. There is a large exhibition in an annexe of motor cars, which includes most of the marques that were made in Poland.
The museum is one of the major attractions on the Krakow Industrial Heritage Route that includes 15 other important sites in the city.