MAN Museum

Maschinenfabrik Augsburg-Nurnberg (M.A.N.) is one of Germany’s foremost engineering companies, and its history is comprehensively illustrated in a museum in Augsburg, located in buildings that were formerly its research centre. The company traces its origins from 1758 with the founding in Oberhausen of the concern that became the Gutehoffnungshütte (GHH) that in 1920 took over M.A.N., the Bavarian company that originated with the establishment of Sandersche Maschinen Fabrik in Augsburg in 1840.


M.A.N.’s principal areas of innovation have been in the manufacture of printing presses and diesel engines. The company began to manufacture flat bed presses in 1845, and an example made in the following year is displayed in the museum, and made the first web offset printing machine in 1921.


Rudolf Diesel carried out research in the company’s workshops between 1893 and 1897, and the first diesel trucks with direct fuel injection were built in Augsburg in 1924. The museum includes trucks from as early as 1921, tractors, of which the earliest dates from 1951, a range of printing presses, as well as couplings and transmissions. There are photographs of power stations and ships that incorporate the company’s products.

MAN Museum
Historisches Archiv & Museum
Henrich von Buz Strasse 28
86153 Augsburg
+49 (0) 821 - 3223791