German Petroleum Museum

Petroleum has been extracted around the small town of Wietze on the edge of the Lüneburg Heide, 12 km west of Celle, since the 16th century when it was used as a lubricant and for medicinal purposes. In 1858-59 the geologist Konrad Hunæus drilled the first oil well in the area, and about 2000 wells were in use by 1918. Extraction ceased in 1963. The museum of the industry opened in 1970 and has been expanded several times since, taking in equipment used in other areas by gas and oil companies. The collections include derricks, valves, pumps and the ‘nodding donkeys’ used to extract crude oil from the ground. There is a geological section explaining how oil and gas are formed, and displays deal with broad issues about the uses of hydrocarbon fuels.<//span>


German Petroleum Museum
Schwarzer Weg 7-9
29323 Wietze
+49 (0) 5146 - 92340