Gas Museum

The Obuda Gasworks was erected in Budapest between 1910 and 1913 and was officially opened two months before the outbreak of the First World War. The first gasworks in the city had begun work in 1856, and others had been built in 1871, 1872 and 1874, but the Obuda works was a project on a very large scale, with the most advanced gas production facilities in Central Europe.


Over a long period the gas system in the city was converted to operate with natural gas, and after being privatised in 1995 the last activities at the works came to an end in 2004. Most of the important structures remain and are being incorporated in a large-scale re-generation scheme, one of the most ambitious in Europe, which will restore public access to the banks of the River Danube, extend the museum that displays Roman antiquities found in the area, provide premises for science-based industries, and establish a museums campus in which the Museum of Ethnography, the National Museum of Technology, the Museum of Transport and a new Museum of Architecture will be located. Two areas of Garden City style housing, one designed for managers and the other for workers, remain adjacent to the Obuda Works.


The present gas museum has extensive displays showing the construction of the Obuda works, and exhibits a steam locomotive that once shunted wagons there. The collection also includes many artefacts relating to gas supply including two particularly ornate gas fireplaces of circa 1900.

Gas Museum
Koztarsasag ter 20
+36 (0) 61 - 4771347