FLAME: The Gasworks Museum of Ireland

The gasworks at Carrickfergus was characteristic of those built in small towns all over Europe in the mid-19th century when the growth of main line railways made possible the distribution of coal to most parts of the continent. The works was opened in 1855, and the last significant alterations made in 1965, before it was closed in the 1970s, along with similar works throughout the United Kingdom, as natural gas supplies became available. The whole of the plant as it was functioning in its last years has been restored, and visitors are received in the manager’s house.

FLAME: The Gasworks Museum of Ireland
44 Irish Quarter West
BT38 8AT Carrickfergus
County Antrim
United Kingdom
+44 (0) 28 - 93369575