Haapsalu is a resort of wooden villas ornamented with carvings ranged around a cathedral and the imposing ruins of a medieval bishop’s castle, situated on the sandy west coast of Estonia.
Railway services ceased in 1995, but the remarkable railway station is the setting for the national railway museum. It was built in 1907 for an intended visit of the Tsar that never actually took place. The cream and brown building is lavishly adorned with decorative tiles and mosaics. The platform, 214 m in extent, is claimed to be the longest in Europe, and its red-painted canopy is ornamented with gilded carvings.
The museum’s collection consists of a variety of diesel and steam locomotives, one of them a twin-domed 2-6-2 with a bogie tender, and a variety of passenger and freight vehicles. Railway history is illustrated in three exhibition rooms.