Dresden Museum of Art, Porcelain Collection

Porcelain was first successfully manufactured in Europe by Johann Friedrich Böttger, at Dresden where his achievement is commemorated by a monument. From 1710 the state manufactory was transferred to Albrechtsburg, the electors’ residence at Meissen 24 km NW of the city. The porcelain department of the city museum service has one of the best collections of its kind in Europe, including numerous pieces from China and Japan, imported by the Dutch East India Company and traded in Saxony where they provided inspiration and examples for Dresden’s potters, as well as many examples of the wares made at Meissen.

Dresden Museum of Art, Porcelain Collection
Zwinger Glockenspielpavillon
01067 Dresden
+49 (0) 351 - 4914612