Cyfarthfa Castle was built in 1824 by the ironmaster William Crawshay the second. It overlooked his immensely successful ironworks which were the largest in the world in the first quarter of the nineteenth century. Despite closure in 1919 the nearby furnaces remains still exist as one of the most important industrial archaeological sites in Britain. The museum housed in the grand castellated mansion contains extensive fine and decorative art collections. The basement galleries tell the social history of the town and its industry including iron making, coal mining and the story of Trevithick’s Pen-Y-Darren Locomotive – the first steam powered locomotive to haul a load on rails in the world (1804). Near to the castle is the house of the famous Welsh composer Joseph Parry who emigrated to America in 1854.