Caledonian Canal

The 96-km Caledonian Canal linking the east and west coasts of Scotland from Inverness to Corpach near Fort William, was built under the direction of William Jessop and Thomas Telford between 1804 and 1822. The waterway passes through four lochs, crosses 3 aqueducts and incorporates 29 lochs. Near the visitor centre at Fort Augustus, at the entrance to Loch Ness, are 5 locks, completed in 1820, and a lighthouse.

Caledonian Canal
Caledonian Canal Heritage Centre
Ardchattan House
Fort Augustus
United Kingdom
+44 (0) 1320 - 366493