Bruunshaab Old Cardboard Factory

The village of Brunshaab south of Viborg takes its name from Bertil Bruun, who from 1809 moved his textile business from Fredericia to the site of an old grain and fulling mill. His factory was completed in 1820 and for a time he employed men and women from nearby pauper colonies. A fire engulfed the premises in 1909 after which the buildings were reconstructed, with a 3-storey main block. In 1919 the factory was adapted to manufacture cardboard and paper. It continued to do so until 1976 after which production was gradually run down, final closure coming in 1986. The following year it was adapted as a museum. The Danish state owns the land and the buildings but the museum is privately financed and managed. Visitors are able to see almost all the plant that was in use when the factory closed, and some of the machines can still be demonstrated. The production of stationery at Bruunshaab and the manufacture of ration books with embossed pages during the Second World War are fully explained. There are also displays showing working conditions at the factory.

Bruunshaab Old Cardboard Factory
Bruunshaab Gl. Papfabrik
Vinkelvej 95
8800 Viborg
+45 (0) 8667 - 5900