Denmark’s transport museum is run by a voluntary association, the Sporjevshistorisk Selskab,formed in 1965, whose site at Skjoldenaesholm, 20 km south-west of Roskilde has been open to the public since 1978.
There were tramways in three Danish cities. A metre gauge system operated in Arhus between 1904 and 1971, and standard (1.435 m) gauge networks in Odense between 1911 and 1952, and in Copenhagen from 1863 until 1972.
The core of the collection consists of tramcars from those cities, but there are also two trams made by Duwag in Copenhagen for use in Alexandria, Egypt, and some cars from Basel. Tramcars operated along two lines, the longest of 1.8 km, one of them ascending to the highest point in the island of Zealand. There are over a hundred vehicles in the museum, including horse trams, horse buses, trolley buses from Copenhagen and Odense, and numerous motor buses, the earliest dating from 1913. The Sporvejshistorisk Selskab has extensive restoration workshops on the site.