Many corn mills in Europe are preserved as museums, but most are water-powered and used stones set in tuns to make flour. The Tiefenbrunnen Mill in Zurich is unusual in that it dates from the twentieth century, used electric power, and produced flour by the roller-milling process. The polychrome brick building was constructed in 1889-90 as a brewery, using water from the springs (brunnen) from which it took its name. It was soon taken over by a competitor and closed, but in 1913 the firm of Wehrli & Koller adapted it as a corn mill. It usually worked for 24 hours a day, and provided flour for the bakers of Zurich until 1983.
After its closure the extensive buildings were adapted as apartments, offices, shops and a theatre but part became a museum which opened in 1986. Visitors are able to witness the roller-milling process and to learn about the history of the mill, and about milling in general. The mill still produces several tonnes of flour each year, and one of the most popular features of the museum is that visitors are able to use that flour to bake their own bread in the bakery on the premises.