Liechtenstein in a principality of only 160 sq km which is doubly landlocked since its only borders are with Austria and Switzerland neither of which has any coastline. Its population is 35,000. While its economy is chiefly dependent on financial services the principality has always had some concern with manufacturing, and present-day products of its factories include false teeth, sausage skins, fastening systems and power tools.
The Landesmuseum illustrates all aspects of the history of the principality, its prehistoric archaeology, the princely family and their art collections, its alpine ecology and the prized ‘national treasures’. The principal museum building is a former tavern, visited by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe in 1788, and restored between 1998 and 2008. Several of its 42 galleries are concerned with industry, technology and crafts. The first ceramics factory in the principality was established in 1836. The industry continues to be important, and some of its products are displayed. The museum has two out-stations that relate to industrial heritage.
Das Bärliche Wohmuseum Schellenberg is a house which originated in 1518 and was rebuilt many times. It was conserved in 1991-93 and displays the material culture of the period 1814-1964 when it was the home of the Biedermann family.
The postal collection displayed in the centre of Vaduz was established in 1930 and includes postage stamps and the machines by which they were sold, uniforms of postal officials and vehicles used over the centuries for the delivery of mail.