Crespi d’Adda is a community where textiles were manufactured in a mill completed in 1878, but it is important chiefly as a model community, designed by Silvio Benigno Crespi n (1868-1944), who had studied the textile industry in Cologne and Oldham and in France. The village is one of the most spectacular in Europe, and as a place where hydro-electric power was produced from an early date. The factory itself is of architectural distinction, with a formal entrance between office blocks, and weaving sheds with traceried decoration in terracotta. Workers were at first housed in apartment blocks and a four-storey ‘hotel’ built in 1878-80, and from 1881 in semi-detached houses. A spectacular castle designed by Ernesto Pirovano was built for Crespi in 1894-7. Hydro-electric plant was installed at the mill in 1909, and there are several other early generating plants in the vicinity.