The Arsenal museum in L’viv has large and valuable collections but its most interesting exhibit is the building in which it is housed. The arsenal is a 2-storey brick structure with a miniature octagonal tower, which formally abutted the city walls. An arsenal was built on the site in 1555, to be replaced in 1574-75 by the present structure, which was itself restored after being blown up by the Swedish army in the early 18th century. The museum opened in 1981. Bladed weapons, small arms and artillery from 32 countries are displayed in the galleries and there are extensive reserve collections. The museum craftsmen, as well as maintaining the collections, undertake the repair of privately owned historic weapons.